Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Surveillance

Right now, as I type this post I could be (and in fact probably are) being watched. Its scary when it is put in those terms. Do I really want some agent of surveillance following my digital traces and reporting back to some person who will look at my activity and decide whether I pose a threat or not?

Of course I don't, but the reality is I don't have a choice, unless I decide to cut off all forms of digital communication with people (which I don't want to do). In this day and age, this is an extremely hard thing to do, especially as it is now how most people communicate with those not in their immediate proximity. I think surveillance is necessary to an extent, whether it be formal surveillance by the govt for the good of the nation or by employers in order to ensure the protection of trade secrets. Surveillance has a place in the current technological age. However, how far is too far? Is it acceptable for a govt or employer to read the private conversations between 2 people? I think not. There is a reason NZ has a piece of legislation called the Privacy Act. This Act sets down the rules by which an agent may collect personal information from an individual and in the broadest sense the guidelines involve doing so for a lawful purpose, directly from the individual, with the individuals knowledge, in a way that does not intrude upon an individuals affairs, protects the information from others, allows the individual access to it at all times and does not disclose it to another agent or person without good reason. It seems to me that govts and employers are in breach of the principles of the Privacy Act. I know that most employers get their employees to sign an IT policy form which does cover them for the most part. However, I still feel that the line between what is acceptable surveillance and what isn't has great potential to be blurred.

I was actually quite surprised to find that I was guilty of peer to peer surveillance. I have never thought of my activities like that. I think that surveillance is a necessary thing, but that it is perhaps abused. People have a right to privacy. Think of the consequences on freedom of speech if surveillance is taken too far. People will be afraid to speak out and public debates will be severely hindered. Democracy will be undermined and fundamental rights to freedom of speech and freedom of expression under the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act will be violated. An opinion on the subject is all very well, but what can be done to stop unnecessary and right-infringing surveillance when people do not even know they are being watched???

No comments: